MNI's are generally calculated by counting the most common bone from a
species, taking into account size, left vs. right, epiphyseal fusion,
and so forth, to estimate the minimum number of animals that would
account for those bones recovered.  The important point about MNI's is
that the unit of analysis is the entire animal.  Binford first used the
term Minimal Animal Unit in its modern form in 1984, I think, in Faunal
Remains from Klasies River Mouth.  Binford recognized that often entire
animals are not brought to or discarded at single sites, and thus he
sought a statistic which would be more applicable to the unit of
analysis that he was concerned with: individual body parts and their
frequencies.  MAU's are simply calculated by taking the minimum number
of elements (say, of tibiae) of a species recovered from a site and
dividing it by the number of times that element occurs in the body.
 Thus, if there were a minimum of 50 red deer tibiae recovered from a
site, the MAU would be 25.  In this way, the MAU values can be scaled in
relation to the most common body part recovered, and presented as
relative frequencies.  In my opinion, these statistics are the most
appropriate to use if one is concerned with why we recover different
frequencies of bones at sites.

Not to labor the point too much, but two quick examples can clarify
things.  Since the unit of analysis in studies utilizing MNI's is the
entire animal, then when faunal analysts wish to track changes in the
frequencies of animals recovered from sites through time, and then
calculate the associated amount of meat and other nutritional resources
represented by the number of animals recovered, then a comparison of
MNI's would be in order [there is much debate over the utility of such
studies].  However, if one seeks to understand whether different
taphonomic agents lead to the deposition and preservation of different
body parts of certain animals, then calculating MNE's, MAU's, and
relative frequencies would be more appropriate (and, I would argue,
fundamentally more sound than using raw NISP counts, although some on
the list may have a different opinion).

Grayson's "Quantitative Zooarchaeology" and Lyman's "Vertebrate
Taphonomy" give summaries that are probably more clearly worded than above.