Jane,

I have conducted decomposition experiments in the US
and found that soft tissue decomposition is highly
correlated to the microenvironment of the internment
including standard factors such as soil temperature
but also including the condition of associated soft
tissue (cooked versus uncooked, skinned, eviscerated,
ect.).

Since I am on the wrong side of the pond to provide a
direct analysis of England soils, here are some
references you may want to consult which are specific
to your location.

J.G. Evans and S. Limbrey (1974) The experimental
earthwork on Modern Bog, Wareham, Dorest, England:
1963 to 1972. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society
40:170-202.

Boddington et. al. (1987) Death, Decay and
Reconstruction: Approaches to archaeology and forensic
science. Manchester University Press.

Nicholson, R.A. (1996) Bone Degradation, Burial Medium
and Species Representation: Debunking the Myths, an
Experiment Based Approach. Journal of Archaeological
Science 23:513-533.

Secondary deposition is always a possible explanation
of inconsistent dating between articulating
elements...especially small elements.

-April
April M. Beisaw, RPA

--- Jane Richardson <[log in to unmask]>