At 09:49 21.02.01 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Does anyone know of a way to automatically remove the history from a
>browser ie using a script, so that using the browser's back button will not
>display the previous page visited?
>
>Paula

I agree that "turning off" the Back-button is generally not a good idea,
but I tkink there are some legitimate uses for this. If you are designing
some sort of on-line test or quiz you might want to deny your users the
possibility to back-track and change their answers, for example.

"The game" by Philip Greenspun achieves this through the use of a
server-side database and client-side cookies:
http://db.photo.net/dating/
There is a description of the technique in his book "Philip and Alex's
Guide to Web Publishing". Check out "Case 5: Brutal Truth Industries" from
chapter 15:
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/case-studies

Regards
Magnus Enger