Hi Nicola,

In my opinion multiple URL registering for HEIs is a waste of time - who
would want to pass themselves off as e.g. the University of Aberdeen? And
if they did, what customers would they steal from us?

As you noted in your first email, misrepresentation is already a recognised
crime.

Regards,

Mike

PS: Don't forget 'Real Names' in your URL-seeking behaviour study....

At 16:14 26/10/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Andrew Aird wrote:
>
> > We are considering registering more and more variants of our name (although
> > many are taken including http://www.kingscollegelondon.com/ which
> > mysteriously goes to an Escort Agency!). However, I think the key to
> this is
> > getting more and better inward links and better results on search engines.
>
>We are looking into the same kind of issues here ... as far as I can tell,
>there's only one UK university that has really gone into mass domain
>registering, and the rest of us have one or two variants, if that.
>
>Looking elsewhere, corporates like Microsoft and the BBC have very few
>variants registered. Which leads me to wonder why. Possible reason could
>be down to marketing / branding and not wanting to weaken the main
>publicised url, or perhaps they think that people are likely to source
>them via search engines, in which case the need for registering
>alternatives becomes redundant.
>
> > As far as figures go, I for one always try to 'guess' a URL when I'm
> looking
> > for something new, before going off to Google or whatever. Perhaps you
> could
> > do a quick survey on this list.
>
>Perhaps I will ... can I ask why you try to guess. Spirit of adversity,
>adventure, or Something Else ...???
>
>Nicola

------------
Mike McConnell
Web Team Manager
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/web

University of Aberdeen
Directorate of Information Systems and Services
Edward Wright Building
Dunbar Street
Aberdeen
AB 24 3UF