In wake of the PHP discussion, I'd just like to mention one alternative.
This is just for consideration, not a recommendation.

If you have Perl experience and want to go beyond CGIs but do not want
to learn an entirely new scripting language, you might benefit from
Apache::ASP. This is an Apache module which you run in conjunction with
mod_perl. It allows you to have ASPs but with Perl syntax. I've found it
delightful, but then I want a very forgiving yet elegant syntax and my
brain hasn't a capacity for more than one computer language.

http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/

Perl fans may also be interested in Perl Object Environment, described
recently by NTK as "ZOPE without the "Zzzz" of Python".

http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/poe.html
http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?back=2001/now0525.txt#TRACKING
--
Martin Poulter, Web Development Officer, Economics LTSN
http://www.economics.ltsn.ac.uk/

Based at the Institute for Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol, BS8 1HH
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/