Dear Mike,

At 18:33 01/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
><snip>
>Departments should of course be able to control their own content, but they
>are not independent entities and I would question whether they should be
>able to publish materials without at least some form of centralised
>editorial control.

"not independent entities"?!  But that's precisely where the problem
lies in some institutions!  Some departments act in almost every way
they can as independent entities and would be glad (in theory) to
cut all ties to their central, interfering, oppressive and blind
controlling body!  "We know best" would be their cry.  "We are
fighting for academic freedom" they would claim.  Etc etc.  I do
wonder sometimes whether an institution with that level of internal
foolishness should call the rebels bluff and just say "OK then.  We're
closing down your department as of next academic year.  You can go it
alone elsewhere."

But seriously, there are some major political problems to overcome
it seems to me, when this independent mindset is prevalent.  And I'm
not just talking about at the department's end.  The central
administrative body needs to ensure that it does not make things worse
by acting in an arrogant and heavy-handed way.

And to be honest, Web site branding is probably the least of the
problems in institutions where this spirit of independence exists!
And just imagine some of the problems that lie round the corner as
some HEIs are considering merging with neighbours to ensure their
survival.  It doesn't bear thinking about!!

Best wishes,
Adrian

Adrian Tribe <[log in to unmask]>, 020 7631 6291
Web Editor, Birkbeck College, University of London