At 09:51 26/09/01 +0100, Richard Trethewey wrote:
>It's actually money for MLE licenses that colleges have received so why not
>MLE@jiscmail? Is this a recognition of the fact that the mythical fully
>working, cross-college MLE does not exist yet?

The terminology, the difference between MLEs and VLEs, is confusing. We are
using it in the JISC sense, where MLE includes the whole learning
environment, including off-line learning. VLE (which is what we are
concerned with)  is the online delivery method, including tracking,
assessment etc. This is explained in a diagram at:

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/pub00/req-vle.html

Admittedly, people still use VLE and MLE interchangeably though (as do I
sometimes).

Geoff Minshull
Direct Learn Training
Online services to education, courseware development, project management,
deafness/disability consultancy
Web:   http://www.directlearn.co.uk/ - last updated 18.09.01
Tel:   +44 (0)1629 540386   Mob:  0771 264 7600   Fax:  +44 (0)1629 540820