Dear Colleague,

Some news from the Transport Visions Network:

1. Report 2 'Transportation Requirements' now published
2. Theme 4 'Vehicles and Infrastructure' Workshop 5 June

The second report from the Transport Visions Network has now been published. It can be purchased in hard copy from Landor Publishing or  freely obtained in electronic form from the project website at http://www.trg.soton.ac.uk/research/TVNetwork from tomorrow. The report sets out the guiding principles that the Transport Visions Network believes should shape future developments in transport - it is, in effect, a statement of TVN policy. The report also assesses the extent to which the Transportation Requirements are compatible with current transport policy.

If you are 35 or under and are not yet a member of the Network now would be an ideal time to join - the Network is shortly to hold its fourth in a
series of successful workshops. The workshop will be addressing 'Vehicles and Infrastructure'. We particularly welcome new members at such events. Attendees of past TVN workshops have found the experience valuable and rewarding. The workshop takes place on Tuesday 5 June at HUSAT, Loughborough University. If you would like further details please reply to [log in to unmask].

The workshop will be addressing a range of interests that we hope will appeal to a broad spread of the membership e.g.

· Have we got all the capacity we need if we can benefit from changes to vehicle and infrastructure technology?
· Should we set aside infrastructure for specific users to prioritise trips or even hold it back as spare capacity to improve reliability?
· Will automated vehicle technologies and ICT mean journey time continuing to migrate towards activity time, changing the way we design and assess transport?
· Every mode (existing and future) has its strength's and weaknesses. How can we knit these together to deliver a system that meets user and operator needs?

Regards,
Greg Marsden

Dr Greg Marsden
Research Fellow