From: Information list. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Alan J
Horowitz
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Multilane Roundabouts

A student of mine and I have been trying to expand upon the capacity
relationships for one-lane roundabouts found in the US Highway Capacity
Manual (HCM).  The HCM essentially treats roundabouts as a series
of yield signs on entering approaches.  Roundabouts are rather new
in the US and we have been having difficulty finding any information on
how the HCM procedure might extend to multilane roundabouts.  A critical
element for such a procedure would seem to be the lane distribution of the
circulating traffic.  Can you point us in the direction of literature that
might clarify this issue for us?

Alan Horowitz
Professor of Civil Engineering
University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee