We display one of the 4-barrel types from the Wellcome Collection
(ex-London Hospital)  in our permanent gallery at the Science Museum. We
also have a separate single-barrel assembly in the reserve collection.

Tim Boon

At 09:51 02/04/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Apologies for the delay in posting this.
>

>Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:13:36 -0500
>To: Museums of Health and Medicine Link <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Arne Hessenbruch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Finsen lamps
>
>Does anyone know the whereabouts of a Finsen lamp? These were quite large
>lamps filling up most of a room, in one version made to treat four people
>at the same time. The lamp is named after the 1903 winner of the Nobel
>Prize for Medicine/Physiology, Niels Finsen. It deployed UV light and was
>most commonly used to treat lupus (skin TB). Arne Hessenbruch

Dr T M Boon, Head of Collections Development,
Science Museum, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2DD, UK
tel: 020 7942 4207  fax: 020 7942 4202,   [log in to unmask]

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named
addressee only and are confidential. If you have received
this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately,
delete the message from your computer system and
destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the
views of the National Museum of Science & Industry.

The NMSI website can be found at http://www.nmsi.ac.uk