Florence Nightingale ( born in Florence, 12/05/1820) was not only in the RSS
(elected 1858) but became an honorary member of the American Statistical
Association in 1874 and the first woman to be awarded the Order of Merit
(1907). Although popularly known as the Lady of the Lamp, she is also
referred to as the Passionate Statistician.

It was her data collection and presentation which were crucial in her
campaigns to reform health and sanitary conditions in the army, in hospitals
and in nursing and were influential in establishing a statistical department
in the army.

For more information, there is a short biography in

NL Johnson & S Kotz: Leading personalities in Statistical Science (Wiley,
1997)

and an informative article by IB Cohen in Scientific American (1984)
including some original data charts. There is also a very brief account of
her influence, but including a fascinating example of a data chart, in

BS Everitt: Chance Rules (an informal guide to probability, risk and
statistics) (Copernicus, 1999)

By the way, I would heartily recommend this last book for the general reader
not just for its eminently readable account of the ways of
probabilistic/statistical thinking but for its historical insights.

Hope this is of some help.

Quentin Burrell