SatPrem Reddy,
        I am surprised at ur experiment result.In my own experiments ,although the
RBF,polynomial kernel didn't show a much better performance at digit recoganition
problem,At least they is not worse than the linear kernel .
        Actually ,I think Digit image recoganition problem is a linear problem.That 's
to say that we can  do it with linear kernel quite well.As we know ,a kernel satisfied
with Mercey's condition is corresponding a map(linear or nonlinear,finite or infinite)
And we can take  it as a feature extraction.In digit image recogation problem,linear
feature extraction is enough.
        For your problem ,en, I think you should check your program first,make sure your
program is correct.(To do this,you can do on some benchmark database,and compare with
result others had get.)If your program is correct,you can consider the parameters as
Dr. Andrea Boni said.
        Wish you good luck .And please feel free to contact me .I am very interested in your
problem .

            longbinchen
-----------
P.O.BOX 2728# ,NLPR,