Pasted below is something I recently wrote on the physiology
underlying functional imaging activations in the cerebellum. I
suggest you read it only if you are particularly interested in
imaging the cerebellum!

Best wishes
Sarah

Geraint's findings hold for visual cortex, and might generalise to
other parts of the cortex. However,to what increases in blood flow or
BOLD signal in the cerebellum correspond, in terms of neuronal
activity, is less well understood.

One possibility is that the principal cells of the cerebellar cortex,
the Purkinje cells, which are inhibitory, account for changes in
blood flow in the cerebellum.

However, recently it has been found that, in rats, there is no simple
correlation between blood flow and Purkinje cell firing (Mathiesen et
al, 1998). Mathiesen and colleagues had two important findings.
Firstly, they found that there is a blood flow increase evoked by
stimulating the parallel fibres (i.e. the granule cell axons), which
is inhibited by AMPA receptor blockers. Since glutamate acts on the
AMPA receptors, this suggests that it is glutamate release from the
granule cell terminals, which acts on AMPA receptors to evoke a blood
flow increase. In the cerebellar cortex there are AMPA receptors on
Purkinje cells, inhibitory cells, and on Bergmann glia, and in
principle it could be any of these, or the downstream consequences of
their activation, that trigger the blood flow increase.

Secondly, however, the authors showed that parallel fibre stimulation
decreases Purkinje cell spiking. This is because stimulating the
parallel fibres activates inhibitory interneurons, which send
inhibitory synapses to Purkinje cells. This inhibitory innervation
outweighs the effect of the direct excitatory input from the parallel
fibres. Indeed, blocking GABA receptors (which mediate the
inhibition) blocks the effect on Purkinje cell firing but not the
increase of blood flow. Therefore, it is not Purkinje cell firing
that leads to the blood flow increase.

The authors suggest that it is the inhibitory inter-neuronal firing
that causes an increase in blood flow. However, the cerebellum is a
multi-layered structure containing various types of cell and there
are also several other possibilities that could cause an increase
blood flow.

A likely downstream messenger that could be produced after glutamate
activates the AMPA receptors is nitric oxide. There is evidence that
in the cerebellum nitric oxide dilates blood vessels by generating
cGMP in the cells controlling vessel diameter. Thus, glutamate that
is released from parallel fibres and acts on Purkinje cells can raise
calcium locally in Purkinje cell dendrites. This brings about a
release of nitric oxide, which dilates blood vessels, independently
of the change in Purkinje cell firing that occurs.

In summary, blood flow increases could be triggered either by
inhibitory inter-neuronal firing or by glutamate, which is released
from the parallel fibres and acts on AMPA receptors, or by both of
these factors. Which of these factors controls blood flow in the
cerebellum is unknown and this question is further complicated by the
interaction with activity in other cerebellar cells. For example, an
increase of granule cell firing might lead to an increase or decrease
of Purkinje cell firing. Therefore if blood flow correlates with
granule cell firing, it might also correlate with Purkinje cell
firing. In addition it is possible that granule cell firing might
also correlate with mossy fibre input firing if an increase of mossy
fibre input always leads to an increase of granule cell firing. This
is complicated because the mossy fibres both excite the granule cells
directly and inhibit them through Golgi cells. Thus, it is unlikely
that BOLD signal, or blood flow, in the cerebellum corresponds simply
to an increase in firing of the Purkinje cells.

Mathiesen, C., Caesar, K., Akgoren, N. & Lauritzen, M. (1998).
Modification of activity-dependent increases of cerebral blood flow
by excitatory synaptic activity and spikes in rat cerebellar cortex.
Journal of Physiology (London) 512 (Pt 2), 555-66.

--

DR S-J BLAKEMORE
Mental Processes and Brain Activation