Dear hector,

Looking among some fMRI/SEM studies I realised that the stacked model
approach has been used to compare a specific anatomical model under
different experimental conditions but most of the time the authors don't
say anything about the goodness of fit (p value for example) of the base
model

I have some problem in understanding why in neuroimaging , SEM has been
essentially used to search differences between two conditions while the
majority of the studies in other scientific fields have search for models
which remain true between different conditions. I think a major problem is
the definition of "anatomical" model. If we assume that "anatomical" means
that the model  is a constant of the brain  (without specifying if this
means that the connections depicted by the model are physical neuronal
linkages?) and that a path coefficient kA_B  means that : if activity in
area A is increasing two times then activity in area B is increasing  of a
factor kA_B * 2 , then I can not imagine that a variation of the kA_B
coefficient occurs between two tasks that are performed by the same brain
with only few seconds delay between the two tasks. For me, and this view is
far to be supported by all people which apply SEM to neuroimaging, if we
notice a significant difference between the connectivity patterns resulting
from the analysis of the covariance matrix corresponding to the two tasks ,
I think that it means:
-  either, we have forgotten to include some areas in the model and these
areas have an effect on the included areas. A difference (between the two
tasks) of  the residual variances associated to the areas in the model is a
good argument for sustaining this hypothesis.
- in one of the two tasks the variations of the input is so low that no
fitting is feasible.
However, this significant modification of the path coefficient clearly
shows that this path is involved in the process sustaining the tasks. So, I
feel that the result is more close to a result dealing with functional
correlation.

  My questions are:

1) Is it possible to use SEM to evaluate not only the significant
difference across different conditions but also the goodness of fit of the
model?

It is possible to test separately the model apply to the two sets of data
(or to the whole data) and have the  corresponding fittings

2) Is it valid to use, in a stacked model approach, an anatomical model
that is not statistically significant (p value < 0.05 for example)?

If we say "it is a difference between two things that do not exist", it
looks strange. I feel it is like when in variance analysis we have a
significant interaction without any main effect: it is difficult to conclude.

I am not sure to give you some help with this comment and ,one more time,
it is only my opinion.

Pierre

Pierre Fonlupt

INSERM - Unité 280
Processus Mentaux et Activation Cérébrale
151 Cours Albert Thomas
69424 LYON CEDEX 03
Tél : 06 60 54 68 29