I just went through this on our sgi o2s...things still seem slow, but here
is what I learned:

1) Do NOT modify the file /usr/local/matlabr12/bin/mexopts.sh
(well, ours is at the default path specified above...yours may be somewhere
else)

2) DO modify spm_MAKE.sh (in your spm99 directory)so that the sgi section
of the script is changed as follows:
CC="cc -mips2 -O"
becomes
CC="cc"

The reason for these differences is that while the old matlab 5.x on the
sgi expects to use the old 32 bit libraries for compilation (requiring changes
to mexopts but not the spm_MAKE.sh file), the new matlab uses the new libraries,
so that the changes I recommend above in 1 and 2 seem to work.

Additionally, when you start matlab, do so without the gui interface to
save on overhead
>matlab -nojvm
This change was recommended by Kazuhisa Niki, and we have found that it
improves performance.  I must say that we could stand continued performance
improvement, if anyone has any ideas...but this is helping for now.  Let
me know if this works for you.

Dianne Patterson