I think that in this case, the problem isn't one of write permission as the
error message suggests.  The line "Unrecognised data type (0)" may
indicate a problem with the header of the image that is attempting to be
segmented.  Can this image be displayed?

The first thing done when segmenting an un-normalised image is an affine
registration.  This requires a smoothed copy of the original image in order
to do the matching, and it was during this step that things went wrong.  The
smoothed image "spm_seg_tmp.img" is created with the same datatype,
dimensions, etc as the original.  In this case, the datatype of the original
image was never checked - only the datatype of the one to be created.  This
error was cought, SPM bombed out, and calling function assumed that the
failure to create a new .hdr file was a write permission thing.

Best regards,
-John

--
Dr John Ashburner.
Wellcome Department of Cognitive Neurology.