I don't know if you are doing the "adjustment" or not.  If you are, then it
is likely to slow the processing down considerably.

Changing maxMem makes no difference to the realignment.  I don't think that
increasing swap will have any effect on speed, although it can prevent the
occasional crash through lack of memory.

Best regards,
-John

--
Dr John Ashburner.
Wellcome Department of Cognitive Neurology.