Dear Imogen,

in addition to the comment of Geraint, I think that the
number of fMRI groups will increase, and the size of
groups will decrease. The reason for that is, that the
commercial MR scanner are getting more and more useful fMRI
sequences and analysis software and there are more and more
commercial solution for stimulus presentation software and
devices, so it is getting easier to start with fMRI.
For instance, we started also to use the real-time fMRI analysis
tool, implemented on our scanner, to investigate patient in a
more or less clinical routine.
So we are doing both, fMRI for research and for clinical purpose.

> If you want to start forming a group from scratch, how many people do you
> need to get it going and what qualifications should they have?

One person with a good background and experience will be enough to set
the seed for a fMRI group, but a good research group should include
researchers of
different professions, as Geraint mentioned.

> I further wonder about what would be the best way to learn to use the
> respective statistics and software.programs....etc.?

I think, the best and quickest way is, to learn the principles of doing fMRI
in a established group with a lot of experience and there are a lot off
collaboration between the different groups, so, usually it is not a problem
to get in contact with one of the groups. In addition to that, there are
also regular brain mapping courses and workshops with different topics.

Best wishes

Karsten

Dipl. Phys. Karsten Specht

Medizin Center Bonn