Hi Peter,

In terms of interpreting SPM activations pragmatically, there is a good
correlation in visual cortex between single cell spiking activity and BOLD
contrast, although the details of the mechanistic link remain uncertain.
Our paper demonstrates this for V5/MT:

Rees G, Friston KJ, Koch C. A direct quantitative relationship between the
functional properties of human and macaque V5.  Nature Neuroscience, 3,
716-23 (2000) {See also News & Views}

...and the accompanying N&V by David Heeger shows that contrast response
functions in V1 follow the same pattern. So the linear relationship between
spiking and BOLD appears to hold for two different types of stimuli in two
different cortical areas. There's no guarantee that holds outside visual
cortex, of course, but it's a start.

Best wishes,

Geraint

***NOTE NEW ADDRESS FROM 28TH FEB***