Dear All,

To make the task of benchmarking your systems easier (and get more
people on board, particularly SUN users!), I have compiled some
instructions for gathering the technical information about your system.

For Windows Users
=================
I have attached a freeware utility for win9x/NT/2000 which will help you
answer all the technical questions I posed. I've scanned the file for
viruses with Norton Antivirus (virus defs 10/10/2001), and run it on my
system with no problems.

For SUN Users
=============
Issue the following command (you don't need to be "root"):
/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v     (if you have a SUN Ultra system)
/usr/platform/sun4m/sbin/prtdiag -v     (if you have a Sparc 10 etc.)
This will tell you the processor speed and amount of RAM installed, and
give details on the I/O system (SCSI/IDE), then run:
/usr/bin/uname -a
which will tell you the Solaris version (5.6, 5.7, etc).
To find out the amount of swap space type:
/etc/swap -s
and let me know the last number reported e.g. ..rved = 44136k used,
648664k available
I.e. the "648664k" is what I need.

Apologies to Linux/Irix users, I'm not particularly familiar with those
systems, so don't have the equivalent commands/utilities for those
systems.

To make this exercise useful I really need to get a good mix of hardware
platforms and operating systems, so please if you can take 5 minutes
from your day to get the info for your machine it will be a great help
for everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Jon.

Jonathan Brooks Ph.D. (Research Fellow)
Magnetic Resonance and Image Analysis Research Centre
University of Liverpool, Pembroke Place, L69 3BX, UK
tel: +44 151 794 5629      fax: +44 151 794 5635