David Sharp wrote:

> Dear SPM'ers,
>
> We are struggling at present with a random effects analysis.
>
> We have 2 groups: gp 1 n=12, gp 2 n=8 with an ABC study design. We are
> interested in comparing (B+C)-A across the 2 gps to determine if there is
> significant difference between the activations.
>
> Our hypothesis is that GP 2 will activate the homologous region in the right
> hemisphere compared with activation on the left for normal controls (gp1).
>
> We have a 2 main questions:
>
> (1) For the 1st stage analysis which model should be used. Can we use 'Multi
> subj conditions x subj interaction and cov' or does it have to be explicitly a
> multi group model. If we have to use a multigroup model can we use 'multi-group
> conditions and covariates' or only the 'Full Monty' and what determines which of
> these is valid.

In the two-stage RFX analysis, the subjects are placed into groups at the
second level  - when you do the two sample t-test you tell SPM which
con*.img's are from the first group and which from the
second. Therefore your first option  -
'Multi subj conditions x subj interaction and cov' - should suffice.

> (2) In the 2nd stage analysis using a 2-sample t-test is it valid to lower the
> threshold for significance below p 0.05 corr for regions where a specific a
> priori hypothesis is held.

The standard approach here would be to use a Region of Interest (RoI) analysis.
This can be implemented using the S.V.C. button in SPM - you define a sphere
or BOX defining your a priori RoI around your activation - and SPM will tell
you the p-values corrected for multiple comparisons over just this region
(rather than the whole brain). Alternatively you could use MRI_CRO to define
regions that are'nt spheres or boxes.

See the SVC notes in Mathew Brett's tutorial for more details:
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/

Hope this helps,

Will.

> Thanks
>
> Catrin Blank and David Sharp
>
> Dr David J Sharp,
> MRC Cyclotron Unit,
> Hammersmith Hospital,
> Du Cane Road,
> London,
> W12 0NN
> Tel: +44 (0)20 8383 3733
> Fax: +44 (0)20 8383 2029

William D. Penny
Wellcome Department of Cognitive Neurology
University College London
12 Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG

Tel: 020 7833 7478