Thanks Joe and Russ for these thoughtful replies,

I posed the question because there is a chronometric tradition within
experimental/cognitive psychology that might disagree with the relatively
stronger inference being ascribed to neuroimaging data here (some of my
cognitivist colleagues have already taken me to task about this), given that
the presence of a cognitive process of interest hasn't been established in
the traditional sense.

Regards,

Greig