Dear Karel,

> is ther a way to mask the images before the statistical analysis? I'm
> particularly interested in one region of the brain, but the whole brain
> is scanned. After the statistical analysis there are more blobs than the
> region I'm interested in. I want to remove these blobs by masking  my
> smoothed and normalised  images before the analysis. Is this possible
> and statistically correct?

You can restrict your analysis to a portion of the brain without having to
do this, by using the Small Volume Correction after statistical analysis.
This allows you to confine examination (and appropriate statistical
correction) of your results to just a specified volume of brain.

The Small Volume can be defined either as a sphere/box around a specified
coordinate (if that's enough to localise the region you're interested in),
or as an image (e.g. ROI created outside SPM). There's been some previous
correspondence on on the list (if you search) about how to create an ROI
image outside SPM for this purpose.

Best wishes,

Geraint
---

Geraint Rees                    | Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
[log in to unmask]        | University College London
+44-(0)20-7670-5496 (work)      | Alexandra House
+44-(0)20-7813-2835 (fax)       | 17 Queen Square
www.klab.caltech.edu/~geraint   | London WC1N 3BG