Dear Andrea

I had a similar problem and the following tip ("Windows Classic Style") from
Mathworks site worked fine.
Although SPM is running, segmenting imagens is too delayed with XP
(http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0111&L=spm&P=R105504)

With best wishes. Griselda.

"Windows Classic Style" tip from
http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/29388.shtml:

Is MATLAB supported under Windows XP?

Solution:

MATLAB 6.1 (R12.1) and earlier versions are not officially supported under
Windows XP. Currently, MATLAB 6.1 (R12.1) for Windows is supported under
Windows 95, 98, NT, ME, and 2000.

For more information on the system requirements for MATLAB, please see the
following URL:

http://www.mathworks.com/products/system.shtml/Windows

Windows XP is expected to be officially supported in our next release of
MATLAB 6.2 (R13), though this is subject to change.

If you are currently using Windows XP and MATLAB 6.x (R12.x), please note
that we have experienced some incompatibilities with MATLAB 6.1 (R12.1) and
Windows XP. As a workaround, please use Windows XP in the "Windows Classic
Style" mode, which seems to prevent most of the conflicts. The "Windows
Classic Style" can be set with the following steps:

1. Choose the Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Choose Appearance and Themes from the Control Panel.
3. Choose the Display Control Panel Icon from the Appearance and Themes
menu.
4. Select the Appearance Tab.
5. Under Windows and Buttons, change the display to Windows Classic style.