Jon,

> I have been following the thread about SnPM and low df neuroimaging
> studies with some interest. I have downloaded the SnPM toolkit
> and am beginning to experiment with it - I am still at a bit of
> a loss about the optimal number of permutations to estimate a model.

As many as possible, within reason :)

If the total number of possible permutations is less than 5000, then
I use all of them.  If there are more than 5000, I use an approximate
test with just 5000 permutations.

Note that even an "approximate" test still is exact (it appropriately
controls the Type I error rate), but it might not be as powerful as using
all permutations.

> Is this covered in your new HBM paper?

Yes.  The copyright agreement with Wiley allows me to email a PDF to you,
but I can't globally post it.

SPMlist: If anyone else would like a copy, just email me.

-Tom

    -- Thomas Nichols --------------------   Department of Biostatistics
       http://www.sph.umich.edu/~nichols     University of Michigan
       [log in to unmask]                     1420 Washington Heights