parametric modulation with arousal
I'm analyzing a study where different emotional stimuli were shown and the question of interest concerns areas whose activity covaries with arousal.  Our first (random effects) analysis used categorical contrasts between  fixation, low, med, and high arousal conditions (based on normative data).  However, we also collected arousal ratings from each subject for each stimulus mini-block, and I would now like to follow up with another random effects analysis based on individuals' ratings.
From reading the parametric modulation paper cited on the SPM site, I decided to model the experiment with one condition (stimulus: all 3 stimulus types together, vs. the implicit fixation baseline) and parametric modulation by the ratings (0, 1, 2, or 3). Using the linear expansion as a starting point, I examined the [0 1] contrasts for each subject and used a one-group t-test to carry out the 2nd level analysis.

Is this analysis sensible? The user-specified regressor option also seemed an option, but it is scan-based vs. condition-block based and it was not clear how one would use it here.

regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Hamann, Ph.D.