> From [log in to unmask] Mon Sep 24 17:06:44 2001
> Date:         Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:52:31 -0500
Dear Darren,

> I'm wondering how to respond to a review on an article and would
> appreciate any help. In the article I used a random effects analysis to
> examine activations in 17 subjects. One reviewer said "... it's hard to
> evaluate the extent to which the significance in the group data may be
> driven by activation in only a few of the subjects." They then
> suggested providing numbers of subjects showing each of the activations
> in my main table.
>
> I don't see any problem in providing the subject numbers but I don't
> think this will settle the question. I thought random effects analyses
> specifically guarded against the possibility of one subject skewing the
> results. Also while in most areas of activation a majority of subjects
> demonstrated the activation as individuals, in one area that showed
> activation in the RanFX analysis (Z > 4.2) only one subject showed an
> individual activation at the p<.001 threshold. Fifteen other subjects
> showed consistent positive parameter estimates at this point that were
> just below the individual threshold. Hence in the RanFx analysis this
> region had low inter-subject variation and activity.

You are absolutely right.  The second-level analysis compares the mean
activation to the intersubject variation in that activation.
Activations "in only a few of the subjects" will inflate the error
variance and reduce the t value.  The reviewer's concern pertains only
to fixed-effects analyses.

I hope this helps - Karl