dear daniel,
           use gcc.
           in spm_MAKE.sh, under the gcc option, the following lines
should look like:
           CC="gcc -O2"
           cmex5="mex COPTIMFLAGS=-O2"
           note that the -f gccopts.sh is missing.
           then, execute './spm_MAKE.sh gcc'
it should work.
In the worst case, compile each *.c file spm complains on, seperately,
using mex. That should work too....
           regards,
           Siddharth.