Dear colleagues,

We had hoped to present our work using Visibility Graph Analysis at the
coming space syntax symposium but, unfortunately, increased work
commitments make it impossible for us to attend. This email is to suggest a
collaborative research proposal that I was going to raise in Atlanta, which
may be of interest to anyone investigating the effects of spatial structure
on the functionality of buildings and urban areas.

 From our own experience as a planning consultancy, we find Visibility
Graph Analysis (VGA) a powerful method for quantifying the functional
characteristics of spatial layouts and we use this technique for pedestrian
modelling and design evaluation. For this purpose we developed 'Fathom'
Visibility Graph Analysis software which has been specially designed to
process large buildings and urban areas
(http://www.intelligentspace.com/software ). We are now keen to apply the
software beyond the requirements of our day to day work, by testing it on
very large spatial systems such as whole cities. If there are any
researchers looking at large scale urban data (land use, land value,
pedestrian movement etc) who are interested in collaborating on a research
proposal to apply Visibility Graph Analysis to a city, please do get in
touch with me.

Our client and friend Gordon Brown from Space Analytics in Denver is
attending the symposium and has kindly offered to present our paper on my
behalf. The paper will also be in the proceedings and if anyone would like
to ask any questions about it or get a colour pdf copy, you are most
welcome to contact us or drop by and visit us if in London.

Best wishes for a stimulating symposium,

Jake

Dr. Jake Desyllas
Partner
Intelligent Space