Ordinary Politics Goes On

Events associated with the war in Afghanistan have taken over almost all
political debate in this country. Many of us who are firmly opposed to this
war and are active in that opposition are at the same time concerned that
the crisis is being used as a cover to distract attention from major policy
changes which are deeply disadvantageous for the majority of people. In the
UK the central domestic issue is the proposed opening of the public services
to the private sector - in effect the abolition of the welfare state as we
have knowN it. Debate about this was avoided at both the TUC and the Labour
Party Conference on the grounds of 'the emergency'. Although we are not
allowed to debate these issues, the Blair government IS allowed to implement
these changes anyhow. We have to act now because next year may be too late.

To that end, we are reminding you about the anti-privatization conference which has been organized in Leicester on November 17th. We are hoping to use this conference to establish an Umbrella Campaign.

Please try to book in advance if possible as this will help our planning of the day.

 Full details are given at the following website, which is regularly updated.

Keeping the Private Out of the Welfare State

Please forward this message as widely as possible. Ta,

David Byrne

0191-374-3723

WWW http://www.dur.ac.uk/Sociology