Apologies for cross posting
Invited Lecture to be delivered on Monday, 5th November, 2001, at 5.30 p.m.,

at the British Academy, 10 Carlton House Terrace, London, W.1, in
Celebration of the Centenary of the British Psychological Society.

Elementary, my dear Watson, the clue is in the genesS.or is it?
Annette Karmiloff-Smith, FBA, FMedSci, MAE, CPsychol.
Neurocognitive Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, UCLondon

John Watson's contribution to the discovery of the structure of DNA in the
1950s and to the sequencing of the human genome half a century later cannot
fail to excite all those fascinated by human development. Yet, as we learn
more about genes and the human brain, there is a temptation to seek
one-to-one relationships between complex behaviours like altruism,
aggression, intelligence or language, on the one hand, and specific genes
and/or specific locations in the brain, on the other. In a series of popular
books, Steven Pinker has repeatedly supported such assumptions by using data
from adult neuropsychology and genetic disorders. In this lecture, I will
argue that the interpretation of such data is flawed, because it is based on
a static model of the human brain, ignoring the complexities of gene
expression and the dynamics of postnatal development. I will illustrate this
through my studies of infants, children and adults with the genetic
disorder, Williams syndrome. Understanding the complex pathways from
gene-to-brain-to-cognitive processes-to-behaviour is like a Sherlock Holmes
and Watson detective story, in which tiny, seemingly unimportant clues early
in development play a vital role in the final outcome.

All those interested are welcome to attend, but because of limited space it
is essential to register in advance.  Please see the Academy website for
full programme and registration forms:
http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/index.html.   Telephone enquiries: 020 7969
5264; Email: [log in to unmask]

Angela Pusey
Assistant Secretary Lectures and Symposia
The British Academy
10 Carlton House Terrace
London SW1Y 5AH
Tel: 020 7969 5264