From: David Steven <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: the authoritative psci-com?
Date: Tue, Jan 30, 2001, 3:36 pm

I really really like psci-com and think it is incredibly useful service
(thank you Wellcome).

However, I still find it quite difficult to keep up with what is going on in
the science communication field, especially at a time when there are scores
of new initiatives in the offing. I know that some of the science
organisations have been lukewarm about the list, but it would make a huge
difference if they embraced and, for example, circulated their press
releases as a matter of course. I happened to catch news about a new media
centre today, but it would be so much better if I knew that, through
psci-com, I would find out about this as a matter of course.

One of Jenkins strongest recommendations was that the science communication
sector needed to avoid further fragmentation - better circulation of
information is the first step to ensuring that this is so.

Perhaps we should have two lists - one (moderated) for announcements and one
for discussions.

I'd be very interested to hear the opinions of others on the list.

David

_____________________

David Steven
River Path Associates