Dear colleagues,

I hope I speak for other sponge people if I ask you to keep to certain
rules when using a mailing list. This is not a fun chat site. This list is
meant for scientific discussion and for asking for information. Personal
abuse and disputes may be amusing for other readers but are also very
unnecessary junk-mail and annoying. May I please propose that the following
kinds of mails are sent to people directly and _not_ via the list:

- chitchat without reference to sponges
- personal, unreflected criticism
- seasonal greetings
- unnecessary answers to nonsense or already answered mails
- extremely large mails, e.g. with attached figures (instead figures can be
displayed in the internet, and you only announce the site in the list)

A general thing: try to keep it short and easy to read. I personally would
also prefer if people could erase the long tails of answered-to mails from
their replies, but that's up to you.

If you agree, please don't answer to the list, but go along and don't
clutter the list. If you disagree, maybe we should have a short-term open
discussion.

Much appreciated.

Cheers, Christine

Christine Schönberg
Dept. of Zoosystematics & Morphology
Fachbereich 7 - Biology, Geo- & Environmental Sciences
Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg
26111 OLDENBURG
GERMANY
ph +49-441-7983373