Here, from the list that Sevanthi provided, a Graham poem. We've been
speaking in the abstract about an idea of Graham--commenting on the real
thing may be more useful. Of course I have no idea how the lineation will
be jumbled--it looks alright on my end.

Note that the poem was posted by Dia Arts in a reading announcement--it
presumably represents Graham as she would like to be represented.

                         THE SURFACE

It has a hole in it.   Not only where I

                                 concentrate.

The river still ribboning, twisting up,

                           into its re-

arrangements, chill enlightenments, tight-knotted

                                     quickenings

and loosenings--whispered messages dissolving

                           the messengers--

the river still glinting-up into its handfuls, heapings.

                                      glassy

forgettings under the river of

my attention--

and the river of my attention laying itself down--

                                          bending,

reassembling--over the quick leaving-offs and windy

                                  obstacles--

and the surface rippling under the wind's attention--

rippling over the accumulations, the slowed-down drifting

                                      permanences

of the cold

bed.

I say iridescent and I look down.

The leaves very still as they are carried.

                         © 1996 from Materialism (Ecco)

                                  Back

© 1995-2001 Dia Center for the Arts   www.diacenter.org