Sevanthi, as in the flower. Sorry for the typo. And actually, I must say that I have no problems remembering the diversity of the audience for poetry, since those poets who are often mentioned on this list--Creeley, Levertov, Olson--are not poets I estimate very highly. On Olson and Creeley, I agree. 0000,0000,DEB7 But I think in this specific instance--i.e. our different observations of which poets are popular in America--I suspect that it's not so much a question of regional poetics as, to put it delicately, other variables. Put it indelicately. Otherwise, it's hard to know who or what is being insulted. 0000,0000,DEB7 "New Formalism, for example, which is sometimes misleadingly portrayed as an academic literary movement, is actually of a piece with rap and cowboy poetry in recognizing the auditory nature of poetry." 0000,0000,DEB7 And yet, rap's historic continuities are with poets who wrote in open forms, from The Last Poets to Linton Kwesi Johnson. Not to mention, say the influence of Ntozake Shange on someone like Talib Kweli. And with James Brown and Parliament. -- however tangled the roots, the flower is formal. 0000,0000,DEB7 Really, I can't take Dana Gioia at all seriously. In Can Poetry Matter, he goes on about the diminished role of poets without pausing to acknowledge how incredibly important poetry has been to American social movements. And sometimes, as in the case of Marilyn Hacker or Gwendolyn Brooks or Anne Sexton or Carolyn Kizer or Thom Gunn, to my tastes rather fine poets. 0000,0000,DEB7 Again, a list not very different from my own -- and not, I suspect, very different from Gioia's.