From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Claire Crowther
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:45 PM
Subject: Re: Levinas's door/ collaboration/ ideology

Dave

I fel she's quite frangible enough to pass as a poet. Talking of
frangibility, that seems to me just the quality that poets I like have when
they are 'being present' at readings - if I am correct in glossing frangible
as a  mixture of fragility and tangibility.

Les Murray, for example, has it almost excessively - so tangible, so fragile.
John Ashbery pushes fragility. UA Fanthorpe, interestingly, pushes
tangibility especially because she uses an extra physical presence (another
reader alongside to vary the 'social' voice who comes across, however, as
fragilely not UAF).

Am I also correct in interpreting fragile as including vulnerability? And
tangibility as including  conviction? In which case,  Sharon Olds gets my
vote as the poet in whose physical reading presence I - I as the community -
am provided with the most opportunity to be made frangible myself.

If you see what I mean.

Best

Claire