>For an amazing example of the review-as-poetry (or an amazing poem of a
>review), see Alison Croggon's "Toward a Naïve Reading: Collected Poems by
>J.H. Prynne" in the new issue of SLOPE
>(http://slope.org/slope/croggon.html).
>
>Apart from its fortuitous relevance to the prose/poem thread, Alison's
>engagement with and reading of Prynne ranks for me with John Kinsella's
>GRAPHOLOGY, which is a poem of a reading rather than the reading-as-poem
>that Alison has produced, but I'd be hardpressed to say which one is more
>poem, more reading. Both are exemplary readings of Prynne (so clear so
>bright!), and both readings are fine poems in their own right. More
>prosaically, taken together they provide a range of acutely intelligent,
>sensitive insights into Prynne that I find enormously helpful for my own
>struggles with his poetry--and a great pleasure to read as well.
>
>Viva poetry!

Abslutely right, Candice

& I should have said so myself. it was great to read it...

I'm off to Quebec city for a week, at what's called the 2001 Congress of
the Social Sciences
and Humanities, to hear other people being really intelligent & participate
on a panel about poetics, talkig about george Bowering's.  Will try to
catch up when i get back...

Doug

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        I don't need to
        hold back here
        in the union