Double nope, the passage is:
Versiculum (Latin)
Versicolo (Italian)
Vesiculo (Spanish)
Vesiculo refers to a brief poetic verse : it is an ancient high
latinate form, diminutive of "verse"...
From the Latin Versiculum, diminutive of versus. It translates "versetto".
The Spanish keeps the Latinate form "Versiculo" (small brief verse-
 )Also referes to "versetto"/"Versiculo" /"Versicolo" in biblical
versification.
Ciao, erminia

>At 06:38 PM 5/20/2001 +0100, Erminia wrote:
>>do not consult the Spanish Dictionary, but the Italian one and
>>destructure the word "versiculo" as follows:
>>versi (plural of "verso") ?
>>culo ?
>>
>>or
you could accept the translation from Latin "small verse".

On Sun, 20 May 2001 13:06:26 -0700, Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Nope, the dictionary of the Rea Academia Española, generally accepted as
>authoritative, has
>
>1. Cada una de las breves divisiones de los capitulos de ciertos libros, y
>singularmente de las Sagradas Escrituras. 2. Parte del responsorio que se
>dice en las horas canónicas, regularmento antes de la oración. 3. Cada uno
>de los versos de un poema escrito sin rima ni metro fijo y determinado, en
>especial cuando el verso constituye unidad de sentido.
>
>We can leave definition 2 out as not applicable. Definition 1, a verse as
>in the numbered verses in the Bible, and 3, a free-verse line that
>expresses a complete meaning, imply a degree of grammatical completeness
>that we don't generally require for a line of verse. But I assume that the
>term is used with all of the exactitude that we tend to use English
>language terms, so that it probably means different things in terms of
>practice to different practitioners.
>
>Early last week I received a poem via email to translate for a bilingual
>reading. I paid special attention to the line-breaks, hoping to create in
>the English a similar energy charge. After the reading I gave the poet a
>copy of the translation (he had only seen it in email), at which point he
>smiled and said "you know I wrote it in versículos." The line breaks whose
>impact I had struggled to duplicate were artifacts of the electronic
>transmission.
>
>Kent, I had intended to wait to answer your query about the difference
>between versiculos and prose after consultation with that poet. But I post
>this limited answer before we get too involved in a guessing-game. There'll
>be more to follow.
>
>I'd gladly post the Spanish and English of the poem, altho it's not one of
>his best, but until I have the proper lineation there's no point. I'll be
>seeing the poet next Saturday. I'll try to squeeze lineation directions out
>of him earlier by email.
>
>Limited time, unfortunately, so back to work. Two different public lectures
>late in the week, for neither of which I'm particularly qualified. Some
>people get a thrill out of bungee jumping. They should try something really
>scary.
>
>Mark

Double nope:Versiculum (Latin)Versicolo (Italian)-Vesiculo (Spanish)

As I said, "versiculo" refers to a brief poetic verse : it is an ancient
high
latinate form, diminutive of "verse"...
From the Latin "Versiculum", diminutive of "versus". It translates in
Italian also "versetto".
The Spanish employs and keeps the form closer to the original Latinate
of "Versiculo" (small verse-
 brief).