Dear Candice,

If there were no foundational logical structure to language, irrespective
of any language, then what on earth is logic? What do you suppose makes it
illogical to say “It is raining now” when it is not raining? Do you suppose
that this changes between languages? Do you suppose that in the 13th
century it was logical to say this? Do you suppose that in Japanese it is
logical to say “my banana is fixing my car and I will be looking forward to
seeing you yesterday? “ You are talking about the changes in the use of
language (its character). These are superficial changes; changes in
articulation, changes in certain words, changes in political use; slang and
so forth. This is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the logic
of language that simply does not and can not change. If we want to
understand each other there must be a common logical ground, in which,
logic dictates the meanings that go together to form coherent and sensible
expressions. The part grammar has in this is that grammar depicts the
logical sequence of events. Here we get into the causal chain of events and
not only the causal chain but into facts. What makes is illogical to
say, “my hand is the size of a molecule” is transcendent to language
because there are no language rules per say that make this illogical. What
makes it illogical is the logical structure of facts. But the logical
structure of facts surely dictates and regulates the use of language and
the grammar of language, therefore this logic is also a unifying foundation
of language that can not change between forms of language. The logical
structure of facts must be obeyed in language and therefore provides the
limits as well as the ground of language.

The fact that a water molecule is a certain size makes statements that
contradict with this fact illogical. The fact that apples are not tomatoes
makes language conform to the logic of this fact. That is why we have
different names for them. Why is it that we must conform to the logic of
these facts in language? Maybe since we see no way around it, since it is
foundational to how we think and therefore how we express ourselves. I can
not be walking and running at the same time. That is this is so, as a fact,
assures that we can not, in language go against it without being illogical.
In this way, the logic of facts makes language conform to itself and
therefore provides the immobile ground of language. This is what I mean by
logical grammar.

daniel