Governments fight drugs for obvious economical and criminal reasons. They
need to posses the "monopolio" on them.
Bourgeoisie refuses drug addiction because it causes the social impairment
that puts the individual on a threshold verging to illegality and
unemployment.
Also, some drugs are good for artistic creation and are therefore on the
side of the rebels, but other drugs, like cocaine and amphetamines,
nicotine and caffeine, are on the side of the Capitalists (enacting as they
do ability to produce and be alert and being affordable only by the very
rich ones: la droga dei Potenti).
Before addiction, cocaine can indeed help people making great steps and
choices in their lives. Then, it causes most probably heart attacks and
syncope.
A final thought: drugs , in a way, prove God's maliciousness. Had he been
not malicious, he would have let people enjoy drugs without inflicting any
counter-effect and any health damage.
On the other hand, health damages, causing death, bring back the "sickly"
creatures to their welcoming Father (Heaven of the addicted).
(I only once in my life smoked “marjoram”  when I was 16 and I had a
syncope: I lost consciousness and fell to the ground on the street
pavement. My  unhurriedly re-emerging  consciousness – if I ever did re-
emerge from that episode -  brought me back to life twenty minutes later
across a black tunnel. I had difficulties to reach the light, I remember it
well (well, partially because it was night). Syncope is the hall to death,
and that tunnel was in fact what dying would have been about.
After that single event, I never took any drugs in my life (well, except of
course nicotine, caffeine, alcohol,  amphetamine, “Valium”, k2wk dj `dj
`9d8 `92yr `928 `28 `-0if`9   `09r=-o=o=`o `00-`r -`0ir -)
(reported speech from the diary of a XXth Century Bare Footed Neapolitan
Nun) "Suora Assurda" (Nun absurd), Convento delle Carmelitane scalze, 1981