From: [log in to unmask]>David McCooey
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 2:16 AM
Subject: biographical poetry

Hi,

Some of you might remember me (hi Jill!, hi Pam!). I used to be on this list a couple of years ago. I'm back and enjoying it very much. Anyway, after a few weeks of lurking I thought it time to participate.
        I'm currently writing an essay on biographical poetry. It seems to me that very little has been made of this. Discussion of the autobiographical in poetry is, of course, ubiquitous. There are less poems that are biographical and fewer that could be described as 'biographical essays in verse'. A few random examples are FT Prince's marvellous poem on Rupert Brooke or Mary Jo Salter's on Robert Frost or Bruce Beaver's on Rilke (a metapoetic link here).
        Elegies, obviously, are biographical, and there's something of a sub-genre in work that deals with family history and parents: Anne Stevenson's Correspondences, Jon Stallworthy's A Familiar Tree, Michael Hofmann's poems about his father in Acrimony and so on and on. Poems such as the latter are clearly also autobiographical - intersubjective, we might say.
        At the other end of the scale we have clerihews and (ahem) double dactyls. And there are some wacky poems for kids mixing nation building, education and verse, such as A Book of Americans.
        Enough already...I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is interested in biographical poetry and (there is a good deal of self-interest in this bit) if they have any favourite biographical poems that may not be well known.

Cheers,

David

--

Dr David McCooey