The  famous kantian question, " In what  shall we place our hopes ", seems
to  be eclipsed by the question whether it is licit to cherish hopes at
all , as though hope itself was a regressive mockery. Here is a brief quote
from the Italian philosopher Berio:

“Today that men have become more harmful beings than ever,  highly
incapable of  adequately estimating the combined result of their actions
and other people’s actions, with the effective risk to alter delicate
equilibriums still in part unknown, today that everyone contributes to the
degradation of the atmosphere and the exploitation of the resources,
responsibility, caution, reflection constitutes a obligation which is
required and unavoidable. This also because the destructive potentialities
of the human specie swell in the very moment its ability to forecast
disasters and take control over  self-perpetuation increases.

Paradoxicalally, the threat of the catastrophe derives exactly from the
triumph of technology. And it is just because the sphere of the unexpected
effects of every action is immeasurable , that personal liability must
proportionally extend itself, before it is too late. (…)
Each of us has in fact  has a collective responsibility (…)
( La filosofia del Novecento, Donzelli 1997)