Re: US Tragedyrichard... what about a poetry of silence from you.... your point scoring at this terrible time is obscene.... joanne burns
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Dillon
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 4:52 AM
  Subject: Re: US Tragedy

  No.  The _100 Days_ poet does not believe that President Bush is in their family.  You haven't spoken one word of support for the USA and its leadership.
  Instead you speak in sentimental terms, with I feel your pain as a mantra.

  The people of the City of New York are handling this horror with maturity and civilization, the civilization which is the United States of America, under attack by tyrants and the real war mongers.

  In the coming hours the President of the United States is going to have to hunt down and kill the man who attacked our country.  That is the High Noon drama.  A shadow has taken its best shot.  Now you will see how sharp a shooter America is.

  Those poets who stand with USA and its President - and believe it or not there are a few - expect no support from the fellow travellers in _100 Days_.  Our President is strong and well grounded, unlike the man who he replaced or the one he had to defeat.

  Either you are useful and with us or you stand in the wake of history with your compeers like Anne Waldman and Neville Chamberlain.  I stand with Churchill and George Bush.

  This is a poetry discussion room and we are discussing poetry and its politics.
  So far in this world of poetry Richard Dillon is the only one who has overtly taken the side of the United States and its President.  I can only conclude that many of you are dancing in the streets joyfully with the Palestinians, who bring their babies up to do what we have witnessed.

    This is a family tragedy, Richard. Hardly the time to decide that some
    people aren't members of the family. It might be good to wait till the
    grief subsides to come out swinging.

    Mark