Candice

Many thanks for taking the time to do this interview and posting Matthew's
poems. I was particularly taken by the interest in gothic. Matthew seems to
be suggesting a gothic which is the gothic of the real. A gothic stripped of
supernatural, while being also in defiance of the so-called strictures of
what can be said to be realistic. A sort of gothic materialism, perhaps? I am
a fan of gothic fiction and cyberpunk which I thought had gothic themes as
does the British philosopher, Mark Fisher, I am currently reading.
_Neuromancer_ by Gibson is more gothic then sci-fi to me. Matthew also
indicates that prescriptive realism (to steal a term from Margaret Anne Doody
_The true story of the novel_) still has a strong hold on the novel and how
novels can be written. I was hoping to escape this hold by saying a novel is
like poetry and can be a type of poetry, if you follow my attempts here to
escape realist narrative forms. Perhaps this can also explain homophobia is
homoeroticism. Anne Rice's Lesat can suck my bood any day.

best

Chris Jones.