In his survey of American twentieth century poetry, Rexroth said, “There is nothing modern about free verse.  It begins with Goethe’s Wanderers Sturmlied in 1771, Macpherson’s Ossian, Hölderlin, Blake and Novalis. Heine, Matthew Arnold and Nietzsche all wrote free verse before French vers libre was invented by Vielé-Griffin.  It is unlikely that Whitman knew anything about, much less read, most of these poets--although Hölderlin’s Odes (assumed to be like those of Pindar whose prosody was not understood in those days) and Novalis’s Hymns of Night, which he wrote in strophic verse, but had printed as prose poetry, both bear an extraordinary resemblance to Whitman’s most profound poems.”

The notion of commercially viable books equating to some quality is one that I bristle at.  I am told that the Pitt Press Poetry sells the most books of poetry in the States, but I certainly do not consider it the best press in America. I do not read those poets--Lynn Emanuel, Alicia Ostriker, Dean Young, Billy Collins, etc. Just because the Whitmanic laborer reads it does not make it good in my opinion. Carpenters get off on stuff that another ordinary person who approached the craft of carpentry would not: joint work, wood types, etc.

But, what is something that comes up in my world lately is the notion of "voice."   Michael said, "and that problem can be the universal one of finding one's own voice." Is there anything more cliche in poetry?  Does not one have more than one voice? Is there a "voice" in poetry?  How does "voice" mix with form? Does form control content or is it vice versa? I think these are questions that come with the poet's skill and talent. Skill and talent, I think, can be developed through a training in form, which is what Allison was saying, I believe.

--Ak