Nothing is more inhibiting than the blank page,
thankfully I only have 300 words.

Educated at art college, I was encouraged to try any
medium any process, any subject matter and yet and yet
I could do nothing.

My own writing practice has come from a turning aside
from freedom, this came about after learning of a
group of writers and mathematicians called the OULIPO.
For them the strict application of rules, usually
ludic usually mathematical is at the heart of literary
and artistic practice.

This I found to be the case. By inventing strict rules
my own writing is forced to reach for new resources.
For me self imposed censorship has been a liberation.

Consider the dream of the perfect work of art, each
part contributing to the whole each part essential.
How is this to be achieved? All those synonyms,
parallel phrasings and grammatical circumlocutions.
Answer the lipogram, the avoidance of particular
letters, the novelist Perec wrote a book with no E I
am working on a search engine with no A.
If that doesn’t inspire try:
“In the blaze of their wa_ing sun, the useful te_t
became no more than a ta_ shelter to the surreptitious
benefit of si_.” Harry Mathews
The blanks can be filled with either N or X.
If the writer wishes to be write something where every
word every letter counts what other strategy is
possible.

 Perhaps you are thinking that the serious writer
shouldn’t be playing games! Literature is about
character and and gender and class and emotions and so
forth. I  agree but aren’t  those things games as
well. 30 words left, and I intend to fill them, 20th
century artistic practice has worshiped chaos against
censorship, the 21st might discover games and
censorship are equally creative. Three hun dred
exactly.