But why do you think I was trying to teach you humanitarianism, Erminia? I
recognized your pain but doubted the wisdom of your words on symbolism.(The
rest of my mail concerned other points.) Your final sally, though, again
seems to mistake my point about idolizing History. Maybe there just isn't a
happy ending. Not even in a couple of millennia, after the Ice Age. (Strange
to think that Communist millenarianism has come to this.) That doesn't stop
us yelling & screaming & groaning & whispering, does it? But I do agree:
prends la rhétorique et tords-lui son cou.
Best
Martin