Josie:

Just so that we don't get at cross-purposes, I'm talking cottage-industry
here.

> > Barely -- just done a google-search for images of Sappho and Anacreon to
get
> > pretty pictures for the cover -- admittedly, I didn't cost-in a
wrap-around
> > 160 gm cover, printed by ink-jet (colour) -- that would add at the most
> > another 10p.
> >
> An offer for future reference. On PA I have access to 140
> printmakers, mostly professionals, some of whom have already
> done book illustrations. If at any time you, or anyone else
> on this lust, require some illustrative work please consider
> a collaborative effort with one of them. I am happy to post
> any image requests to PA and I'm sure that many would jump
> at the chance to collaborate. At the moment we are
> undertaking a project themed 'illustration' where the
> particpants are responding to a fragment of text of their
> choice and making an edition of prints to exchange. We are
> also setting up an exchnage based on digital printmaking
> which is another story

Point.  As well, the images I pulled from the Net are prolly copyright (your
accountant would know) -- but I was doing quick-and-dirty on this.

And yes, it +costs+ to get properly trained in design and layout.  But I DO
rather object to paying through the nose (paying whom?) when I can (in even
my own amateurish fashion) Do Better Myself.

> Was that 40p to me? Promise not to spend it all at once ...

FINALLY got the damn  thing paginated properly -- now all I have to do is
work out how to shift all the pages three pages forward (and allow me to
have a title/acknowledgements pages, ISBN [where DO you get these?], etc.)
without re-screwing-up the pagination.

40p plus postage (Australia is a bit away from here).

> All that was off the top of my head, in practice, 'real'
> cost accounting gets much much more complicated. I was
> merely pointing out some of the factors that tend to get
> overlooked when people gasp at the price of things. What I
> did leave out is the environmental and social costings but
> that's also another story.

See above.  I'm not arguing your Real-World Costings (add in, e.g., business
rates on running a print-shop) -- but when laser-printers dropped below £200
to produce an identical end-product, the ball-game changed.

> > I had one of those chain-phone-calls on this.  The Demon Princess said,
> > "Daddy, you're an idiot -- they paid mum £100 for the cover of _The
Coffee
> > House_."  Not that long after, my ex-wife was on the phone ["Do you know
> > where our daughter is at the moment?"]  and I said, inter alia, DID they
pay
> > you £100 for the cover of _The Coffee House_?" and she said, "Are you
> > joking?  Zilch."
>
> Yes, well, I can relate to this. Artists have all the same
> problems that writers have it would seem,

You want to suffer, try writing an opera libretto.  My hair stood on end
when i discovered that one of your compatriots (You Know Who I Mean) was
flogging off an opera she wrote (and I wrote the libretto for) for seventy
five frigging aussie dollars.  Really do wish i hadn't lost the contract
that guaranteed me 7.5% of the royalties ...

> with the added
> factor of material costs. Most of the time they dont break
> even on materials and are expected to be grateful for an
> opportunity to get their work seen - but I'm not telling you
> anything you didn't already know, am I?  [funnily enough -
> mine own daughter gets occasionally called demon-spawn, are
> they related?]

Almost certainly -- does your daughter knit?

> > Well, if you're so clever, _you_  print dave's b*gg*r*d to b*ts*y Chide
1.

> Not _that_ kind of printmaker *chuckle* How much is he
> payin?

Paying?  You're joking.  I got lumbered for Chide as I have (for my sins) a
laser printer and dave has an inkjet. Cost of consumables, and in an insane
fit, I said, "I'll do it."  But you could try him for a (free)
cover-illustration.

Cheers

Robin