Henry, I have a feeling you're trying to articulate something with both
these moves--putting Jorie Graham "under erasure" with your father's
initials and reducing the ongoing or periodically resumed debate over
Langpo's place in American poetry to the name of a single
scholar/critic--and I'm wondering if it has to do with poetry's maybe
triangular relationship with the textual and the personal, and in these
virtual spaces, above all--? We gather here personally to talk about poetry
textually, via e-mail, but we can't seem to avoid making every
poetry-related topic person-al. Not that I'm saying we should, necessarily,
but I wonder why we can't. And has this always been the case in these forums
or is it a recent development? I was thinking about this earlier today when
David Birc posted a response to my attempt to tease out an argument about
the (simple) heart, the poem, and the spirit relative to theory/"literary
philosophy" in that paragraph by Doug Oliver and rose to Doug's defense,
among other things, but unnecessarily, it seemed to me. And I realized at
the same time that couldn't recall a time (there must have been one!) when
it felt new or odd to be text-tapping out this conversation with strangers,
most of whom I seem to have known for years now without ever having laid
eyes on. Even those I've met since making their virtual acquaintance have
never quite come into their own faces in my mental images of them but still
retain the overlaid look and shape of their textuality.

And now I'm sounding like a Beckett character to myself!

But what is it, Henry, that you're trying to tell us?

Candice