Everything I set down goes with a clatter
that goes on longer than expected, and is like
a small dam bursting, a blister of calm.
My nerves have taken off and are living it up
a few feet across the room by the stereo.
My gut sulks on a pink cushion. A bidding war
is beginning, and you and I are getting involved.
The lyric self lives best at its wits' end, a ghost
straining itself through masonry. You try
to feel the lash, the searing beams, the tear gas.
When they catch you they come down on you
you know how. In the library I felt faint
then went and had a shit. This is a real
memory, but the next one won't be. Once -